Ok, I’m long overdue. Gonna steal this fish from a kid movie:
Hula Teacher: Lilo, why are you all wet?
Lilo: It’s sandwich day. Every Thursday I take Pudge the fish a peanut butter sandwich…
Hula Teacher: “Pudge” is a fish?
Lilo: And today we were out of peanut butter. So I asked my sister what to give him, and she said “a tuna sandwich”. I can’t give Pudge tuna!
Lilo: Do you know what tuna *is*?
Hula Teacher: Fish?
Lilo: [hysterical] It’s fish! If I give Pudge tuna, I’d be an abomination! I’m late because I had to go to the store and get peanut butter ’cause all we have is… is… stinkin’ tuna!
Hula Teacher: Lilo, Lilo, why is this so important to you?
Lilo: [calm] Pudge controls the weather.
Pudge lives in a local river or in the reef just offshore or maybe in a noble’s fountain. Of course, Pudge is a terrible fantasy name.
1) Pudge is well known by the locals. He demands one newborn sacrifice per solstice/equinox or bad weather comes.
2) A local believes in him, but is considered mad. In addition to controlling the weather, Pudge impregnates skinny dippers. Pudge is the Sire of Merfolk, but ran away from his throne.
3) Pudge is a lungfish-shaped familiar grown from the lung of a local Mage.
4) Pudge is the local deity looking for his first cleric. Maybe one of your fighters is willing to change professions?
5) There is no fish. Pudge is a Chinese dragon.
6) Pudge is looking for his son. Wait–wrong movie.